Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Humanities - History and Literature

Today was the first real class of humanities. We had history and literature. Mostly the classes were a review of the summer reading for the tests on Friday.

In History, we discussed some of the themes of King Leopold's Ghost, instances of them in the novels, and their relation to some quotes from Machiavelli and a couple other sources. I may write more specific things when I actually review for the test.

In Literature, we discussed themes and metaphors in the book. I didn't agree with much of what the teacher said about the book being entirely a metaphor. Since Conrad did actually travel up the Congo, and it was a huge issue at the time, I don't think the book was intended to be entirely disassociated from its setting. However, I do believe a lot of the things about the discovery of the emptiness at the core of societal morality. This, though, I think is deeply entwined with what was actually going on in the Congo, and Conrad's actual experiences, and the actual events of the book.

Tomorrow is the Art and Music review.

No comments:

Post a Comment